●Total investments for the current period: ¥27.4 billion
●Total research and development expenses for the current period: ¥15.1 billion
Costs for Environmental Conservation (Millions of yen)
|Costs within the sites||Pollution prevention costs||403||1,314||Operating cost of environmental facilities, measures to prevent emissions of toxic chemical substances|
|Global environmental preservation costs||75||11||Cost of energy conservation activities|
|Resource recycling costs||133||691||Recycling costs and waste processing costs|
|Upstream and downstream costs||-||109||Recycling and reuse of packaging materials, improvement of container packaging|
|Administrative costs||106||104||ISO 14001, environmental measurements, environmental education|
|Research and development costs||34||170||Development of environmentally friendly products|
|Social activity costs||-||0||Afforestation, beautification, provision of environmental information to host community residents|
|Environmental damage costs||-||-|
- Note: Environmental damage costs are included in pollution prevention costs.
Environmental Preservation Effects (Kuraray)
|Pollution prevention effect||SOx emissions||Tons||418||330||407||77|
|Soot and dust emissions||Tons||27||27||33||6|
|PRTR substance emissions||Tons||891||905||976||71|
|Global environment preservation activities||GHG emissions||1,000 tons-CO2||1,218||1,250||1,319||69|
|Energy consumption||1,000 kL
(crude oil equivalent)
|Resource recycling activities||Landfill and/or simple incineration||Tons||617||879||849||-30|
|Rate of effective waste utilization||％||97.7||97.2||96.7||-0.5|
|Water resource usage*||million m³||69||72||71||-1|
|Total discharge of wastewater*||million m³||70||72||71||-1|
- * Excluding seawater
For detailed environmental data, please visit the site below.
- (1) Basis for environmental accounting calculations
- Reporting period: January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017
- Scope covered: Kuraray sites (Tsurumi Plant has been newly covered from fiscal 2017 due to the merger with the former Kuraray Chemical)
- (2) Environmental conservation cost calculation criteria
- Depreciation: Straight-line method
- Standard for allocating costs: In principle, 100% of costs are allocated to individual environmental conservation items. However, a portion of costs is allocated on a pro-rata basis.
- (3) Standard for calculating environmental conservation effects
- Effects are calculated in a simple comparison with the total environmental load of the previous fiscal year and are not adjusted for production volume.
- (4) Standard for calculating economic effects (benefits) of environmental conservation measures.
- Although material effects such as income from recycling are known, benefits are deducted from environmental conservation costs.
Sites certified according to Environmental Management System (as of the end of December 2017)
- (1) ISO14001
- Kuraray Niigata Plant
- Kuraray Kashima Plant
- Kuraray Okayama Plant
- Kuraray Kurashiki Plant (including Kurashiki Research Center)
- Kuraray Tsukuba Research Center
- Kuraray Saijo Plant
- Kuraray Tsurumi Plant
- Kuraray Plastics Co., Ltd. (Ibuki Plant)
- Kuraray Fastening Co., Ltd. (Maruoka Plant)
- EVAL Europe NV
- Kuraray Europe GmbH
- Kuraray Europe GmbH Division Troisdorf
- OOO TROSIFOL
- Kuraray America, Inc.
- Kuraray Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
- Kuraray Korea Ltd.
*1 Includes the following affiliates located within the Kuraray plant sites: Kuraray Kuraflex Co., Ltd., Kuraray Okayama Spinning Co., Ltd., Kuraray Tamashima Co., Ltd., Kuraray Saijo Co., Ltd., Kuraray Techno Co., Ltd., and Kuraray Noritake Dental Inc.
- (2) RC14001
- Kuraray America, Inc.
- MonoSol, LLC