Kuraray Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; President: Fumio Ito; "Kuraray") has developed the SEPTON J Series, which boasts significant flexibility and a soft feel, as part of its high-performance, high-functionality lineup of SEPTON brand hydrogenated styrenic thermoplastic elastomers.
SEPTON hydrogenated styrenic thermoplastic elastomers
- Possessing rubber-like elasticity, SEPTON can be easily heat molded like all types of plastic.
- SEPTON is widely used as soft molding material in place of vulcanized rubber and soft polyvinyl chloride.
- The global market amounts to 120,000 tons per year and is expanding approximately 7% per year (Kuraray estimate).
SEPTON J Series' SEPTON high-performance, higher functionality product brand
- Development Concept
- Continuing on from the SEPTON V Series, the SEPTON Q Series and the SEPTON K Series that Kuraray has developed and marketed to date, SEPTON J Series have been developed utilizing Kuraray's accumulated polymer design and synthesizing technologies to enhance and strengthen the product lineup and respond to customer needs.
- As SEPTON J shows unique flexibility and a particularly exquisite soft feel when compared with existing products, it is suitable for products requiring low-hardness gel, including joint supports and footwear insoles.
- Main Characteristics
- Unique flexibility, exquisite soft feel
- Low melt viscosity and excellent processability
- Superior shock-absorbing properties and vibration dampening performance
- Shares the light weight, mechanical properties (high-strength, superior compression set, tear resistance) and low-temperature properties of current SEPTON products
Flexible, easy-fit knee joint support
Insole for women’s shoes reduces shock to heel
- Potential Fields, Applications
|Potential Field(s) ||Potential Applications |
|(1) Medical, nursing care ||Artificial leg and protector cushioning material, pad components, joint supports |
|(2) Everyday goods ||Cushioning material for beds, pillows, etc., general cushioning material, toys, shoe insoles |
|(3) Sporting goods ||Shock-absorbing material, protectors |
|(4) Industrial components ||All types of cushioning and sealing material, robot components (shock-absorbing and vibration-dampening materials, artificial skin, etc.) |
|(5) Electric, electronic components ||OShock-absorbing and vibration-dampening materials for office automation (OA) equipment, flat panel displays (FPDs), mobile phone, and other all kinds of digital equipment |
- Future Plan
- Making progress with its development for other applications, Kuraray is targeting SEPTON J Series sales of 1,000 tons per year in five years' time.
SEPTON J Series Representative Compound Properties
| ||Unit ||Using SEPTON J Series ||Using Existing SEPTON Product ||Remarks |
| || |
|Flexibility, soft feel |
|Impact resilience rate ||% ||36 ||71 ||Shock-absorbing/ vibration dampening properties |
|Melt flow rate |
|Low melt viscosity |
|Compression set |
|Mechanical performance |
on par with existing products
From Kuraray research
The above data presents typical values that are not guaranteed
High-Performance, High-Functionality SEPTON Brand Lineup
|Product Name ||Main Characteristics ||Representative Potential Applications |
|SEPTON V Series || |
- Oil resistance, durability
- Automotive components: weather stripping, lining materials, etc.
|SEPTON Q Series || || |
- General industrial products: Sheet, film, etc.
- Sporting goods: Soles of spike shoes, etc.
|SEPTON K Series || |
- Bondability with glass and all types of metal
- Material for window glass surrounds
- Electric and electronic component materials
|SEPTON J Series || || |
- Medical, nursing care field: Pad components, joint supports, etc.
- Everyday goods field: Cushion materials, shock- absorbing materials, shoe insoles, etc.